Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 NIV
The Good Medicine
If you have ever watched Mary Poppins, you’ll know the song “just a spoon full of sugar help the medicine go down”. All you need is loveWell, this post is similar, to rid yourself of bitterness, anger, resentment and hatred, all you need is a “spoon full of love”.
All you need is love
The greatest way that the soul can prosper is through the love of God. We need to be permeated with His love—a love that is kind, forgiving, hopes all things, and will never fail. Without love man is likely to perish from a variety of diseases from the mind and body. It is the individual who is not interested in his fellow men who has the greatest difficulties in life and provides the greatest injury to others. And, we might add, to themselves as well. We read in the Bible that love is the highest and greatest commandment:
love God with all your heart, soul, and mind, and love your neighbor Matthew 22:37–39
He answered, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’ ; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”
Luke 10:27 NIV
To remove bad emotions from our lives and turn on the love of God within us, we need to follow the wisdom found in the Bible on a daily basis. We cannot eliminate wrong emotions like anger, bitterness, envy, resentment—all the emotions that are against somebody who hurt us, betrayed us, or said something that was untrue—by willpower. Our will does not have control over our emotions. We cannot will out worry or fear from our lives.
Our will does not have control over our emotions, but it does have complete control over our actions, and actions change emotions. Jesus teaches us to love our enemies, to bless those who curse us, to do good, and to pray. He commands us to act against things that stir up bad emotions in us, saying, “Love, bless, do good, and pray.” All these require action, and action changes emotions.
We do not love in word; we need to love in deed (1 John 3:18). Love, bless, do good, and pray. When we involve ourselves in these good actions, bad emotions dissipate. Action can alter our emotions towards others, and it can also change our emotions about life. We can learn to have a happy life. We can learn to be happy.
The science stuff
Medical science has confirmed that when we are happy—in a state of mind fixed on good and pleasant thoughts—we perform better and feel better. People who practice thinking pleasant and positive thoughts can see, smell, taste, and hear better. Happiness improves the function of all of our internal organs. King Solomon said a merry heart is good like medicine (Proverbs 17:22). Good medicine is laughing, relaxing, being happy, taking it easy, and enjoying people. That is a mind-body connection.
In the Bible we are taught to receive our food with thanksgiving and prayer. Why do you think that is? It is because that way our digestive juices and our stomachs work better. God wants us to be healthy, and in order to be healthy we have to be happy. Happiness is not in our future—one day when our bills are paid, when we have everything we need. Happiness is in our present: it is right now. We can be happy now. It is a mental habit, a mental attitude. If it is not practiced in the present, it can never be experienced. There is so much to be thankful for. Thankfulness produces happiness that will promote health. Be that person God made you to be. Be filled with excitement, enthusiasm and joy!
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13:13 NIV
- Psalm 23 – The Great ShepherdAdvertisements The great Shepherd, The Lord In Him I do not lack I rest in His presence in pastures green, and I am given the water of life Water refreshingContinue reading →
- Late Mother’s Fight Against CancerAdvertisements Hi brothers and sisters in Christ Donate here I am making a personal appeal for your help for my financial recovery. Why am I in financial distress? My MomContinue reading →
- Learning from Christian Persecutions- Radical Faith!Advertisements Christian Persecutions Persecution of Christians remains one of the biggest humans rights issues in the world. If the recent reports in Afghanistan are to be believed, that is aContinue reading →
- The soil of Your Heart – God’s VoiceAdvertisements It is vitally important for ever Christian to grow spiritually. We ought to seek growth in our relationship with God. We do this by preparing the soil of ourContinue reading →
- Pride Or Humility?Advertisements by Hazel Straub How many times have we let pride, self exaltation, self absorption or arrogance consume us? We rely on ourselves and think we have to solve allContinue reading →